So before I hop onto the recipe of this French delicacy, let me introduce a bit of its origin and repute. This dessert bears a close resemblance to regular nougat which is a speciality of Montélimar city in France. If you don’t know what Nougat is, here you go:
Nougat belongs to a family of confectionery items made with sugar or honey, roasted nuts, whipped egg whites, and sometimes chopped candied fruit. The caramelised and chewy texture make it a favourite dessert for young and old. The consistency of nougat is chewy, and it is used in a variety of candy bars and chocolates.
Frozen Nougat Recipe:
Frozen nougat has a rich smooth texture. The crunchy taste of nuts and the soft texture of cream and fruity flavours make it a stunning delicacy of perfect combinations.
Ingredients For Nougat Ice Cream – 10 serving (almost 1 lit.)
- Egg whites 100g (room temperature)
- Sugar (superfine or icing sugar) 60g
- Honey 80g
- Whipping cream (30-35% fat, keep in fridge) 500g
- Raisins 50g
- Cherries (in sugar syrup) 50g
- Almond 50g
- Pistachio 50g
- Sesame seed 25g (optional if you allergy )
- Lemon zest of 1 lemon
**Silicone/metal or plastic molds for desired shape or any container suitable for the freezer. Or a large round or rectangle cake tin, lined with cling film and sprayed with grease so ice cream won’t stick.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 150C
- Soak the raisins for 1 hour in warm water, once done, squeeze the water out and keep them on kitchen towel to soak all the water. Then cut them into small pieces.
- Spread the almonds and pistachios on a baking sheet and toast them for 7 to 10 minutes (depend on your oven), Remove them from the oven and let them cool for 30 minutes. Then chop them.
- Drain the cherries in a basket then let them sit on a kitchen towel for few minutes, cut them in small pieces(no chopping ).
- Toast the sesame seeds in a pan and keep aside
Method or assembly: 20 minutes
In a mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip the cream on medium speed until firm peaks hold like in the picture. You can use a handheld mixer too. Scrape out in another bowl and keep it in the fridge.
In a small saucepan, pour the honey and bring to boil on low heat. In parallel, start whipping your egg whites, then add
Then pour the boiling honey over egg whites in a stream while your mixer is running on slow speed – (Be careful honey is really hot almost 125C ). Now increase the speed to high and whip the egg whites until the meringue is cold. You can touch the bottom of the mixer if it feels cool, then it’s done.
Now add chopped nuts, cherries, orange zest, sesame seeds into meringue.
Now gently fold in the whipping cream into meringue, don’t mix it too much you will destroy the air pockets in cream.
Now pour the mixture into your desired container or molds freeze for 6 to 8 hours or overnight depend on your freezer condition.
If you feel you’re short of time and cannot handle multiple single servings, you can put the mixture in the cake mould and freeze it for 6 to 8 hours. Check below how it turns out 🙂
Frozen Nougat Serving Tips & Tricks
Serve as single nougats or you may serve as a frozen ice cream cake. Garnish it with waffles and honey, however, you have the freedom to decorate it with some chopped nuts or cherry or sprinkle some toasted sesame seed on before serving.
Present to your family and friends and surprise them. I am sure you will get a loud thumbs up.
If there’s anything you feel ambiguous about, share it in the comments below. We’ll assist you accordingly.