Being tired of cooking common recipes, I try to play around the spices to turn regular desi food into exotic
I would say cooking is fun and imagination is your best friend, never hesitate to try new things. The recipe I’m sharing today is one of the best French-style dishes that I invented with just a few tweaks in a desi recipe! This recipe is simple yet delicious and very easy to follow. If not more, this recipe is surely a quick and healthy fix for your belly.
Preps for Chicken with leeks & fennel
Ingredients – Serving for 2
- 2 Chicken breast or cut in cubes
- 2 Fennel bulb or 1 cup cabbage, sliced
- 1 Orange for zest and segments
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar (skip it if you don’t want )
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed
- Pinch of ginger powder or a pinch of the fresh zest of ginger
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil or butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Cook like a French:
- In a pan, add 2 tablespoon cooking oil. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and pan-fry the chicken for 5 minutes each side or until chicken is done. You can also grill the chicken. Remove the chicken from the pan and keep aside.
- Wash or wipe the pan and add 1 tablespoon oil or butter, add cumin seeds and then add sliced fennel or cabbage, cook for 2-3 minutes until caramelized, add leeks and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
Prepare the orange segments and zest
In a small saucepan, add orange juice and sugar. Let it cook for a few minutes, remove from the heat and pour into a small bowl. Add orange zest and orange segments and keep aside without boiling it.
On a serving plate first put the fennel or cabbage in the centre , then on top chicken brest and then pour orange juice and add orange segments.
Garnish with a green leaf or coriander or parsley or basil.
Let’s cook same ingredients in Desi style
Add 2 tablespoon of oil or butter in a pan and cook chicken until it’s done. Remove from heat and keep aside.
In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil or butter and add cumin seeds. Then add fennel or cabbage and cook until caramelized. Add the orange juice, salt, pepper and a pinch of ginger powder. Let it cook for a few minutes – then add chicken and leeks and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with some greens.
For Orange dressing:
- In a bowl, add orange juice, salt and pepper to taste, add 1 pinch of an orange powder. Further, add 1 teaspoon of sugar and mix well
- Grill or boil chicken or simply cut in small pieces and stir fry in a pan with 1 teaspoon oil. Remove from heat.
- Slice the vegetables. In a bowl of mix vegetables and greens of your choice. Add chicken and pour the orange mixture. Add some seeds for crunch, or serve as you like.
Happy cooking! Feel free to comment your thoughts on it.